Friday 10 April 2009

San Francisco

first of all to let you know i'm writing this on a pc with linux. its like using a computer ten years ago. i tried a browser called 'konquerer' that was absolutely useless and am now on something called 'ice weasel', awful name but at least it works. so dont expect any fancy stuff right now - i'd love to show you a photo of the carpet in my hostel (its psychadelic) but thats going to take me a while to figre out. also ive been up for 20hrs and counting on only 4 hrs sleep so please excuse my spelling.

and just as more of a preamble, i'll tell you what i wrote on the flight since i'm one of those strange people that love long distance flights. despite having flown to new zealand 3 times, i still find it faintly glamorous. i get all excited by the complimentary eyemask and socks. in fact i think i was the only person in the cabin wearing their socks but i surely cant be the only person needing relief from their swollen feet. i also love airplane food - the fact that its in little containers and eating it is like a ritual. i was a bit disappointed by the lack of english or american theme to the meal. i had alaskan pollock and the salad dressing was definately american but other than that it was all a bit nationality neutral. i also had a glass of wine and watched ferris beuller's day off on the minature screen on the back of the seat in front of me. regarding alcohol at 34000 ft - it goes to your head. hence my surprise at everyone around me maxing out on the free booze (tea, coffee, sir? soft drink? - i'll have a g&t please). I thought only my dad did that. i had tomato juice (soon to become a new obsession of mine i think, what would you call it? a virgin mary?). i mean it was only midday, perhaps not everyone else had been out on the razzle 10 hrs previous, but even so. my second favourite thing about flying after the food is the moving map where you can track the progress of your plane across the globe. after sitting still for 5 hours i start to find the fact i am flying over places such as 'godthub' and 'foxe basin' infinately amusing.

anyway so i land finally and go through immigration where i get the third degree from the officer and it goes a bit like this (remember at all points i am smiling and he is not.)
(him) purpose of viist? (me) leisure
what is your job? - i'm a student
shouldn't you be at college at the moment then? - i'm on a year out
how much money have you got? - what on me? a couple of hundred dollars
how much is that? - er 200 dollars
do you know people here? - yes my uncle lives here
have you been to america before? - yes
where to? - er l.a. and new york
how long are you staying for? - two months
on 200 dollars? - well i have a bank account as well
how much is in it? - couple of thousand
how much is that? - 2000 dollars
and you think thats going to be enough? - er yeah
are travelling on your own? - yeah

etc etc
chrissakes, whats so suspicious about that?

i've got to go and get some dinner now before i faint, but san francisco is actually lovely. will explain more coherently tomorrow

10/4 7pm

4 comments:

  1. Frickin' hell, you're in America! Photos photos photos of San Francisco hills! And get one of Arnold Schwarzenegger if you bump into him.

    Adam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how excited I a about this blog Mary!

    I think when you get back I'm going to attempt to host an airplane party. (Think Britney in the 'Toxic' music vid.) I'll arrange the chairs in the living room, with space for an isle for me to walk through. I'll make airplane food for the guests and serve in tin, take away trays.


    Thinking about this, I couldn't imagine a worse event. Sorry, scrap that..Maybe i'll just make us some airplane food.

    Looking forward to the pictures of your psychedelic carpet, 'myspace' style angle shots of you in various locations and funny dialogues.

    more more more!

    narr xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary,

    I look forward to seeing upon my return from the Shrewsbury.........Have fun, stay well..


    Pittsburgh Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary,

    Glad you are seeing all sides of the Western USA. I will be going to San Diego next February to my Club Mgrs Conference. Last time I was there I did the "over the border" trip and picked up a silver bracelet for Anna Cristina.You do have to haggle on price for most things......Always ask for a discount for everything.... as you travel...........
    Stay well..I am packing today for England...
    Cheers,

    Andy

    ReplyDelete