Wednesday 22 April 2009

I Visit A Bar

i'm staying in a beach hostel in San Diego. my hostel in LA had sea views too (it was a 'cotel' or collumnaded hotel) but this is a proper beach hostel with decking onto the beach and sand everywhere. even my bed seems to have a sand in it. i was lying on the beach when i wrote this and it was misty morning which was kind of nice as the sea seemed to appear from nowhere. there are lots of wading birds on the beach with me too, poking about for food in the sand. one has an extra long thin beak and extra long thin legs and when it runs it runs a bit like an ostrich which tickled me pink really. anyway this place has a proper friendly party party atmosphere which led me into having my first american bar experience (ok ive been in a bar in the us before with my uncle but it was in new york city and a fairly sedate affair). firstly, i have never seen so many flatscreen tvs in my life, not even in a curries, and they were all playing a different sport; american football, ice hockey, rodeo etc. and there was turtle racing (im not sure if this counts as animal creulty but it was quite entertaining) hosted by a girl dressed up as a ninja turtle. we had a sweepstake amongst our group and my turtle won, woop! i won $10 so actually managed to make a profit on a night out for the first time. but the whole place was really rowdy, not in a nasty way just in a very un-british was. if you broke a turtle racing rule you had to down tequila and milk (ewwh) and everyone chants and yells at you. and this was on a monday night. (the place was called murray's field. any comments natalie? i was probably in some equivalent of a wetherspoons) anyway later im goiing south of the border to tijuana (or TJ as the americans call it). so pray for me.

6 comments:

  1. Turtle racing sounds like The Coolest Thing Ever! Steal a turtle for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how long does a race take? I imagine it's like watching snails. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah turtle racing in water not tortoise racing so they can move fast if they want to (its whether they want to or not). mine went like a bat outta hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just gets better! Turtles racing in water? Wow...! Steal a turtle for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. by the standard of this girls, i think you could probably make one yourself. do it roland, bring turtle racing to oxford

    ReplyDelete