Friday 17 April 2009

My Appearance

i looked in the mirror today. this was a mistake. ive only been on the road about a week and my complexion has become what can best be described as ruddy, not exactly tanned although i now have lots of freckles and not exactly burnt although the tip of my nose and the ridge of my cheekbones twinge a little. my neck has definately burnt and has started to peel and go scalely. my skin is super dry for the wind and i am dependant on the chocolate chip cookie chap stick niamh gave me as a leaving present. my back aches from sleeping on the bus and my feet ache from walking miles and miles everyday. i went for a medicinal paddle today down by santa monica pier, which despite the unseasonally cool wind was quite busy. Angelians are a pretty cool laid back bunch altough they do like to say 'fucking' every other word.

also just to clear up a few myths here, greyhound buses are fine. the man at the ticket booth gave me a $350 discount on my pass because he liked me. you get to watch CNN in the departure lounge (im starting to love american news channels by the way, particularly fox) and there is security so no bums hang around at the termini. you also get a kind of tour of obsure branch locations of burger king.

my favourite thing so far in LA is grand central market. it is amazing, like burough market but a fraction of the price and is all mexican/japanese. there is a stall that just sells chilli spice and beans. for $2 i bought 2 small courgettes, 2 small peppers, 4 tasty looking plum tomatoes, some mushrooms and a massive bunch of asparagas. $2! and quality too. the asparagas is literally a tenth of the price at home. so far ive only been shopping at corner shops which are really expensive and rubbish. i also bought some hawiian fish stew for $3. you get a cup and the girl didnt fill it too the top so i thought far enough the cup is about the size of a bucket and then she put in some broccoli, a load of chicken and some king prawns for good measure. what does hawiian food taste like? answer im not sure since fish stew just tastes kind of fishy wherever its from but it was pretty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment